10.09.2011

An Update On the Last Post

I went in to see the doctor again Friday morning. I was somewhat nervous about (1) being sent to the hospital or (2) being put on bedrest for the rest of this pregnancy. Luckily, neither happened. Good news came back from the blood work and urine samples. AND my blood pressure was reading 120 (normal)! I was definitely relieved because the doctor I had on Wednesday definitely made it sound like this baby was coming early, and it doesn't look that way anymore. Why was my blood pressure reading so high on Wednesday? I'll tell you... the same thing I told that doctor that day (I have like 8 different doctors and 3 nurse practitioners, so I pretty much see a new one each with each visit). I had just gotten home the night before from San Diego (I was in the car for about 10-11 hours), which I know traveling can cause swelling in pregnant women. Also, I had mentioned to the 1st doctor, on Wednesday, that my first three appointments the nurses would get my blood pressure with the smaller cuff, it would read high, switch to the larger cuff, and it would read normal. However, the most recent appointments I had had (when I first found out about my blood pressure getting higher), the nurses just used the smaller cuff every time. My Mother, who used to be a nurse, told me that the difference in the two cuffs can cause the blood pressure reading to be inaccurate. Well, I asked the doctor on Wednesday if that could be the case, but he just told me it wouldn't make much of a difference if the nurses were using the wrong cuff. All he knew was that with the three most recent readings, my blood pressure had been going up, so it was enough to worry about. When I found out my blood pressure was normal on Friday (yes, the nurse used the right size cuff this time), I told this other doctor the same thing about the different cuffs and just getting back from traveling, and he pretty much agreed with me that that might have been the problem. But, obviously, they want to keep checking on me just in case. He also told me that pre-eclampsia affects the whole body, and since I wasn't feeling any of the symptoms of it (besides some swelling, which has been pretty minor and probably normal for pregnant women, in my opinion), that I probably didn't have it. It's kind of amazing the difference in opinions from two different doctors. Anyways, I'm going in for weekly appointments now, and my blood pressure is still going to be closely watched. I don't remember all of what the doctor told me what they were going to do with me at my next few appointments because he was telling me so much information while he was also checking the baby's heartbeat... and the doppler was pretty loud. I know they're planning to do a non-stress test at my next appointment, and Jon thinks some other test as well (he can't remember either). I am definitely relieved that I can get up and get things done again. Maybe this baby's nursery will be ready for her arrival after all.


Here's where we're at right now... Nothing on the walls yet. Need to buy either pink or white curtains. Still have lots of organizing and cleaning to do. We just bought a dresser yesterday at IKEA, and so it has helped make the room look more put-together and added a lot more needed storage space.



1 comments:

Schenk Family said...

Your baby room is SO cute! I saw that bedding the other day and told Brad that is the bedding I want if we ever have a little girl. I am also glad it was a false alarm about the blood pressure worries. Enjoy your last couples weeks and sleep LOTS! You will miss it. :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com